I love peanuts.
I love butter.
And when the two come together, I love them even better.
As a diabetic, one of my favorite snack hacks is an apple-peanut butter sandwich. See how clever that is? Zero bread, as bread is a blood sugar spiker (yes, spiker is a word. A bad one).
Apples are good. Natural peanut butter adds the protein component.
So I pick a medium apple, slice it and sandwich the peanut butter between the slices.
Snack times are toughest for diabetics and this is an easy healthy snack hack.
High in protein, high in fiber, High on taste!
What you need: ingredients
- 1 medium sized apple
- One table spoon of homemade peanut butter
- 5 minutes
How to make it
Apple peanut butter sandwich
Take an apple. Wash it. Slice it horizontally, like in the picture below.Spread peanut butter on two slices.
Place an apple slice on the slice with peanut butter
Now, the trick is to make the peanut butter at home. Let me know if you want the recipe. It is easy.
Calories: 160 with approx. 22g carbohydrates.
- Almond butter and any other nut butter works just as fine.
- The calorie and carb count mentioned is for unsweetened nut butter
- Preferably make your own nut butter.
- The combination of fiber + protein is healthy, provided by fruit (apple) and nuts
- Feel free to use a pear instead of an apple
- Too lazy to make your peanut butter? Simply chop the apple, sprinkle nuts (walnuts/sunflower seeds/cashew/pumpkin seeds) and stick a fork in it–it is done! Enjoy!